Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Viva la Coldplay!


Everyone is asking, "How was the concert?" Well, I will tell you - AWESOME!! I was pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, I love Coldplay. They are one of the few bands that I can listen to an entire CD from beginning to end and not skip over a bunch of songs. They are very talented for sure. As I mentioned before, Phillip and I saw them when they first came out with Parachutes, and though the songs were great, they were BORING. Boy, what a difference 6 or 7 years will make. I was completely charmed by Chris. Not only was he full of energy, wriggling all around the stage like some sort of giant Gumby, but he was so gracious. He talked about how much fun they were having and how much they appreciated the response their fans gave them. The stage and filming that went with the show were amazing. Definitely some of the best film work I have seen with a concert...arty, but not pretentious. At the point of the show where they performed Lovers in Japan (see post below. Watch the video again and imagine thousands of butterflies surrounding you while the music is playing), thousands of foil butterflies and flowers fell from the ceiling for what seemed to be at least 10 minutes. It was so beautiful - they were floating all of the place. It was a particularly neat effect since we were directly underneath it all (we had floor seats).

I have been to t TON of concerts in my time, and I have to say that I witnessed something I have never witnessed before at a concert...especially one that is as big as Coldplay. They were so grateful to their fans that the whole band marched towards the back of the audience, in the bleacher seats, and wedged themselves in between all of these people sitting there and proceeded to sing a few songs. Everyone's mouth just dropped. That was the moment that won me over...well, that and the butterflies.

All in all, one of the better shows I have seen. They sang everything I could have possibly wanted, and of course closed with Yellow. That song never gets old. Well done, Coldplay. You have restored my faith in your live shows.

No comments: