Monday, August 18, 2008

Walk the Plank

Phillip takes advantage of the warm weather by working on whatever outdoor projects that need to be done to this "money pit" of a house we bought. The first outdoor project is the front yard - namely the front porch. It is the only part of this old house that was not structurally sound. You can't tell in the before picture, but the porch is not square AT ALL.


Once we received quotes from contractors on how many thousands it would cost us to have a professional redo our porch, Phillip decided that he would tackle the project himself. Now, I have always said that Phillip is one of the smartest guys I have ever known, but THIS??!! I must say, even though the progress is slow, I am impressed. He completely deconstructed our old porch. Drew up plans to present to the city to get a building permit. Dug holes and framed the supports. Removed the old columns and propped the house on some sort of stilt system. And now he has begun laying the floor boards. Yay! All of this time, I have had to literally climb into our house and/or walk some sort of plank to get into the front door. I am so excited to have some sort of flooring in place. I can't wait to see what it looks like when he is completely finished. I will keep you posted on the progress!

1 comment:

Jen H. said...

Wow, your house is gorgeous! And as an HGTV addict, I'm intrigued by the porch remodel. Keep us updated on the project!