Friday, July 3, 2009

My First Floral Class


I have always wanted to learn how to make beautiful floral arrangements. I dream about making one of those gorgeous centerpieces that you find in an entryway, that has all sorts of stuff flowing out of the vase and artichokes sticking out. I don't consider that I don't even own an entryway table (yet), but the dream still lives. I had been looking for a class for some time, but had only found classes with the mega craft stores like Michael's - and then the classes were for silk flowers. It just was not quite what I was looking for. Lord knows that would not be good enough for Dorothy Draper or Kelly Werstler (just a few of my design icons).
Finally, one of my favorite little florist shops here in Minneapolis, Brown and Greene, hosted a simple floral arranging class. It just covered the basics - how to make a hand held bouquet with roses. This arrangement is usually used for bridal bouquets. It typically looks like a little round mound and is actually a quite versatile arrangement once you have the concept. We learned how to make the arrangement with simple roses. I know that the pictures do not really do it justice, but I think I did a pretty good job for my first time. It was more difficult than you would think holding all of the stems in place and twisting them around before tying off the bunch. I am excited to see how I can take this concept to the next level.

No comments: